If a case is dismissed, do I still need to disclose it? 7 Answers as of October 23, 2014

I reside in Iowa. In 2010, I was brought to court on charges of shoplifting. I completed court requirements and the case is listed on my record as "Dismissed" by the State of Iowa. Will this show for an employer background check? Do I need to disclose this on an employer application?

Strouse Legal Services | James C. Strouse
No. If Probation Before Judgment, you can get it expunged.
Gilpin Law Office
Gilpin Law Office | Tim Gilpin
I don't normally handle criminal law and I am in Oklahoma. You should check with an Iowa criminal defense attorney. Typically a criminal record will still show up on a records search, unless it was officially expunged from the record.
WILLIAM L SANDERS, ATTORNEY AT LAW | William L. Sanders
I can only answer in GA. I do not know about your state. it likely will appear on your record You can get a copy of your record - it is public record. I suggest you go to your local police or sheriff and ask them how to get a copy.
Law Office of Russell J. Thomas, Jr. | Russell J. Thomas, Jr.
The fact that the case was dismissed does not mean that it didn't happen. If it was a misdemeanor you might get away with not disclosing it - but that is risky. If it comes up in a background check, your best choice is to admit it, but then explain it. You might also check in your state to see if records of this type can be expunged.
KEYL ADR Services, LLC | Mark D. Keyl
I suggest checking with the jurisdiction and see if the reported it. Also, carefully read the question and see if your situation needs to be reported.
    Barton Barton & Plotkin | Maurice Ross
    This depends on the question in the application. You must always be honest. If you are asked if you were ever convicted of a crime the answer is no. But if it asked whether you were charged with shoplifting the answer is yes. You will not have a criminal record. But the stores and private data collection companies maintain private data bases which means that this could come in a background test if such private data bases are used.
    Fox & Fox, S.C. | Richard F. Rice
    Probably not as it is usually only appropriate to ask for information about "criminal convictions" not charges that have been dismissed.