If a car that was uninsured ran into me, what can I do if I live in California? 4 Answers as of March 09, 2011

I was driving to dinner when I was rear-ended at a traffic light. The driver did not have insurance, and the car is registered to his mother. My pregnant wife was taken to the hospital by ambulance, and we are both getting physical therapy.

Liability is not based on whether one had insurance. Talk to your attorney, you might need to use your under insured/noninsured part of your policy. Driver's mom is also "on the hook"
IF you have uninsured motorist coverage, then file a claim with your insurance company.
Law Offices of Michael Stephenson
Law Offices of Michael Stephenson | Michael Stephenson
You have the option of filing (or threatening to file) a lawsuit against the negligent driver. It is possible your damages may be covered under his mother's insurance policy. Even if that is not the case, you can still file a claim for damages against the driver and/or his mother and collect a judgment from them directly. It is possible they will offer you some amount of money if you agree not to file a lawsuit. You should contact an attorney soon to discuss this in more detail.