If both parties are American citizens and want to get married in Mexico, would the marriage be legal in the U.S.? 7 Answers as of August 25, 2015

Is there additional paperwork or steps to make it legal? What, if anything, would make the marriage illegal?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
David A. Browde, P.C.
David A. Browde, P.C. | David Browde
Yes, it will be legal, and no additional paperwork is required.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 8/17/2015
S. Joseph Schramm | Joseph Schramm
Generally, if the marriage is recognized as legal in the country (Mexico, France, Greece) it will be recognized in the U.S.
Answer Applies to: Pennsylvania
Replied: 8/17/2015
Grace Law Offices of John F Geraghty Jr.
Grace Law Offices of John F Geraghty Jr. | John F. Geraghty, Jr.
It would be recognized in the United States if it is officially recognized in Mexico.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 8/17/2015
Law Office of Robert E McCall | Robert McCall
That would be a yes.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 8/25/2015
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
Generally yes, it will be valid in the U.S. If it is valid in Mexico. Destination weddings count!
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 8/17/2015
    Alena Shautsova
    Alena Shautsova | Alena Shautsova
    The marriage will be legal, as long it will be legal in Mexico. No additional steps are needed. You might want to get an apostile for the marriage certificate.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 8/17/2015
    Richard B. Jacobson & Associates, LLC | Richard B. Jacobson
    Many States have adopted a Uniform Law on recognition of foreign marriages and divorces. If your state has such a law, and your marriage in Mexico is performed strictly according to the Mexican law, it is very likely that you need not do anything more to assure its validity in the US. Be sure to have a fully certified and valid Mexican certificate of divorce, and keep it in a safe place in case it has to be used in the future. In fact, probably both spouses should have a valid, certified copy of the certificate.
    Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
    Replied: 8/17/2015
Click to View More Answers: