If bankruptcy has been discharge and my vehicle is paid for, why won't the bank release the title? 4 Answers as of July 20, 2017

If I give them the vehicle, is there anything that can be held against me? I don't want the vehicle and I can't junk it or sell it without title.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Benson Law Firm
Benson Law Firm | David Benson
If a phone call and a letter gets you nowhere, file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and talk to the Consumer Protection Section at the Ohio Attorney General's office in Columbus. That should get their attention.
Answer Applies to: Ohio
Replied: 7/20/2017
Ronald K. Nims LLC | Ronald K. Nims
Lender who have discharged loans secured by junkers often try to squeeze a payment out of the debtors by refusing the release the title. Send them a letter threatening them with a motion for contempt of court for violation of the discharge injunction and they will usually turn over the title - free and clear. If not, talk to a lawyer about filing the motion for contempt. The best thing about contempt motions is the lender pays the attorney fees.
Answer Applies to: Ohio
Replied: 7/20/2017
A Fresh Start
A Fresh Start | Dorothy G Bunce
It is likely that the bank will not release the title because the loan was either cross collateralized or subject to a set off provision. If you owed the bank other debt, this other debt, even if it appeared to be unsecured, was also secured by the vehicle. It is too bad you did not have better representation in your bankruptcy because there may have been solutions to resolve this problem. After the discharge is entered, it is too late to do much. You are welcome to return the vehicle to the lender, but to junk it without the lender consenting could subject you to criminal charges.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 7/19/2017
Janet A. Lawson Bankruptcy Attorney
Janet A. Lawson Bankruptcy Attorney | Janet Lawson
They will not take the car back. You will have to file a motion to make them give you the title. Find an aggressive bankruptcy lawyer. I think this is a discharge violation.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/19/2017
Click to View More Answers: