If arrested for assault on female and strangulation, can the victim have the charges dropped? 1 Answers as of June 13, 2011

My husband was arrested in January for assault on a female and a felony charge of strangulation. I, his wife, was the victim. I did not press charges. The officer investigating the complaint was. He has been held (could not make bond) ever since. Can I ask to have the charges against him dropped since I am the victim, even if I did not take the charges out on him? How can he have this charge expunged?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Clifford Clendenin & O'Hale, LLP
Clifford Clendenin & O'Hale, LLP | Locke T. Clifford
You can ask to have the charges dismissed, but the decision will ultimately be made by the DA's office. If the charges get dismissed, then they can be expunged. You will likely need an attorney to file the paperwork.
Answer Applies to: North Carolina
Replied: 6/13/2011
Click to View More Answers: