If a 2nd Mortgage holder issues a 1099C on a house because there is not enough equity to foreclose, is the 2nd mortgage no longer valid? 2 Answers as of April 04, 2013

How do I get the mortgage removed from title?I'm still in the house and had to claim the full mortgage as income on my tax return. Since they issued a 1099C to me I'm assuming they can't collect the funds from me any longer and since I own the house they can't take my asset to pay off the mortgage since they claimed they gave the funds to me as income. Thanks for your responses.

Unfortunately, no, as long as the lien exists against title, the bank can collect against you again.
Frank Law Group, P.C.
Frank Law Group, P.C. | David E. Frank
You are correct, but you will likely need to get the lender to issue a re conveyance of the mortgage to get it off title (at least if your property is in CA), and if they refuse, you will need to file a quiet title lawsuit (for which you will need a lawyer). Also, check with a tax accountant familiar with debt forgiveness tax issues, as you may be able to avoid the tax liability on the phantom gain.