Identity theft? 2 Answers as of May 23, 2011

My friend is an American woman but has a mexican last name, "Rogel." She applied for an apartment, and after her background check was clear, the landlord is requesting a copy of her birth certificate, divorce decree, and her Social Security card. But that information was given in the application and passed the background check. I'm afraid the landlord will take her papers and damage her good name. Is it legal for the landlord to ask for those documents?

Oltarsh and Associates, PC
Oltarsh and Associates, PC | Jennifer Oltarsh
I do not see how that is relevant. I have been practicing for over 15 years. Our immigration law firm has been in the immigration field for more than 45 years. We have handled cases with experience, integrity, and good effect. We offer payment plans with no interest.
It sounds like your friend should see an attorney (nonimmigration attorney) because this sounds like a discriminatory practice. In my humble experience that information is not necessary to rent a place in CA. I don't know what state or city you are in; discrimination of would-be immigrants seems to be en vogue right now, I am so sorry to say. You are also correct that it may be an attempt to steal her identity for any purpose. Good call on that. I would not give that documentation to anyone. Good luck!