What can I do if I am caught driving without a license again? 20 Answers as of July 17, 2013

I was in an accident; I do not have a license. Took a chance to get back and work. I have been caught before and this will make it my third felony driving while suspended. The ticket written was only for not providing a license, what can I do?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Dunnings Law Firm
Dunnings Law Firm | Steven Dunnings
The City attorney or Prosecutor might find you were driving while license suspended and change the charge. If that happens, you could be looking at jail. You better hope that does not happen.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 1/25/2012
Lombardi Law Firm
Lombardi Law Firm | Steve Lombardi
What you say doesn't make sense: there is no charge of felony driving while suspended, so I'm guessing there is more going on than you've alluded to. Otherwise, the answer to your question will depend upon the reason you don't have a license in the first place. Are you suspended or barred? Why are you suspended or barred? What happened the prior times you were arrested? What else is in your criminal history? Is you on probation or parole? Depending upon the answers to those questions you could be looking at a very minimal fine or as much as prison, and additional license suspensions.
Answer Applies to: Iowa
Replied: 1/25/2012
Law Office of Jared Altman
Law Office of Jared Altman | Jared Altman
Your fate rests on why you did not have a valid license. If it was something like a DWI revocation, then you need a really, really good lawyer.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 1/24/2012
R. D. Kelly Law Firm, P.L.L.C.
R. D. Kelly Law Firm, P.L.L.C. | Robert Kelly
The answer to your question is in the Revised Code of Washington here: 46.20.338 Display or possession of invalidated license or identicard. 46.20.341 Relicensing diversion programs Program information to administrative office of the courts. 46.20.342 Driving while license invalidated Penalties Extension of invalidation. 46.20.345 Operation under other license or permit while license suspended or revoked Penalty. 46.20.349 Stopping vehicle of suspended or revoked driver. 46.20.355 Alcohol violator Probationary license.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 1/24/2012
The Law Office of Harry E. Hudson, Jr.
The Law Office of Harry E. Hudson, Jr. | Harry E. Hudson, Jr.
Driving on a suspended license is not, to my knowledge a felony. You need to figure out what it takes to get your license back and do that. See a traffic attorney.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/24/2012
    The S.E. Farris Law Firm
    The S.E. Farris Law Firm | Spencer E. Farris
    Expect to be a guest of the state, with complimentary bologna sandwiches and an orange suit. Expect to be held until you pay your fines or do the time which the fines were supposed to avoid. If you get caught in a "hard nosed" municipality or county, the judge can hold you until you make bail or get a hearing. I have seen a guy picked up on Friday night, and held until court on the following Wednesday. Bottom line is don't drive without your license! Pay your fines and apply for a hardship for work if you can.
    Answer Applies to: Missouri
    Replied: 1/24/2012
    Bulman Law Associates PLLC Injury Law Firm
    Bulman Law Associates PLLC Injury Law Firm | Thomas Bulman
    You should work from your home or find a driver/bus to take you to work.
    Answer Applies to: Montana
    Replied: 1/24/2012
    McKell Christiansen
    McKell Christiansen | Michael McKell
    You are going to have significant problems because of a very poor decision.
    Answer Applies to: Utah
    Replied: 7/8/2013
    Paul Whitfield and Associates P.A.
    Paul Whitfield and Associates P.A. | Paul L. Whitfield
    Get you the best traffic court lawyer in town. Judges don't like 2d and 3rd offenses. DMV will likely suspend you permanently.
    Answer Applies to: North Carolina
    Replied: 1/24/2012
    Bernard Huff, Attorney/Mediator
    Bernard Huff, Attorney/Mediator | Bernard Huff
    You should seek the specific legal advice of an accident attorney for direction.
    Answer Applies to: Indiana
    Replied: 7/17/2013
    DEAN T. JENNINGS, P.C. | Dean T Jennings
    Get a criminal lawyer right now and try and make a plea agreement as you are going to jail with a conviction for a third driving without a license. Tell the lawyer everything and see what kind of deal you can make. You are probably looking at 14 to 30 -plus days in jail minimum. Don't ignore this, that will make it much worse.
    Answer Applies to: Iowa
    Replied: 1/24/2012
    Meyer & Kiss, LLC | Daniel Kiss
    It sounds like you will be fighting a felony case. The prosecution may seek a prison sentence in light of your driving background and the fact that an accident occurred. You should consult an attorney to see if you have a defense (which is tough in driving cases) or negotiate the best plea possible - hopefully one that avoids doing any time.
    Answer Applies to: Illinois
    Replied: 1/24/2012
    Adler Law Group, LLC
    Adler Law Group, LLC | Lawrence Adler
    You need an attorney to make a very good deal with the prosecutor.
    Answer Applies to: Connecticut
    Replied: 7/8/2013
    Kelaher Law Offices, P.A.
    Kelaher Law Offices, P.A. | James P Kelaher
    Hire a chauffeur. A third driving w/o a valid license means you have no chance to get a license for five years.
    Answer Applies to: Florida
    Replied: 1/24/2012
    The Law Offices of Paul A. Samakow, P.C.
    The Law Offices of Paul A. Samakow, P.C. | Paul A. Samakow
    Hire a criminal lawyer. It is likely you are going to jail if you are convicted.
    Answer Applies to: Virginia
    Replied: 1/24/2012
    Andrew T. Velonis, P.C.
    Andrew T. Velonis, P.C. | Andrew Velonis
    3rd felony? There can be only one answer: get a lawyer. Who got you off the hook before? If you don't want to go back to the same lawyer, make sure you get someone with experience in felony traffic matters. Can't afford it? Get help from wherever you can friends, relatives, sell your car. It will cost more to end up incarcerated.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 1/24/2012
    Dwyer, Black & Lyle, LLP
    Dwyer, Black & Lyle, LLP | Kevin Habberfield
    Three times isn't going to make the justice system go easy on you. In the future, color within the lines. I understand the desire to work and commend you for it but, you must play by the rules. Pay your debt and move on with life and for heavens sake. Drive carefully!
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 1/24/2012
    Law Offices of Elliott Zarabi
    Law Offices of Elliott Zarabi | Elliott Zarabi
    You need an attorney. You may be considered a habitual offender and can serve up to 180 days in county jail and also have a probation violation.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 1/24/2012
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 4 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney