I was recently arrested for having a small amount of meth on me. How much time will I serve in Louisiana prison for this? 3 Answers as of February 14, 2011

I got pulled over because I had a pipe, a small amount of meth and pseudoephedrine on me. I was put in jail and was able to make bail the next day. What will with my case now? We went to court and the DA tried to charge me for possession.

Bloom Legal, LLC
Bloom Legal, LLC | Seth J. Bloom
Methamphetamine is classified as a schedule II narcotic in Louisiana. As a general rule simple possession of a schedule II narcotic carries sentencing guidelines as follow: -Imprisonment with or without hard labor for not more than 5 years -A fine of not more than $5,000

That being said, every case is different and the specific details of your case will dictate the exact charges against you as well as possible sentences. It is due to the potentially very serious nature of charges related to the possession of methamphetamine that it is essential to hire an experienced attorney who will work with you to craft a strong defense strategy. Things to consider are whether or not you will be charged with intent to distribute or manufacture narcotics due to your having been in possession of pseudoephedrine at the time of the arrest. The amount of narcotics in your possession at the time of arrest can also affect sentencing as can your prior criminal record (if any). If you are seeking legal representation in this matter, we invite you to contact our firm at the information provided on this page to schedule a free case evaluation.
Law Office of Craig E. Gibbs
Law Office of Craig E. Gibbs | Craig Gibbs
Possibly no time.
NOLA Criminal Law
NOLA Criminal Law | Townsend Myers
Possession of Methamphetamine is governed by La RS 40:967(C)(2). The possible penalties are from 0 to 5 years in the Louisiana Dept. of Corrections. That said, in Louisiana, a defendant's possible sentence can be enhanced under La RS 15:529.1 if he or she has prior felony convictions. So the ultimate answer to the question depends on the particulars of your PRIOR record, not just the current charge. In terms of what happens now, that depends on what jurisdiction in Louisiana you are in. In some parishes (counties) the District Attorney automatically files charges and sets a court date, meaning you will be served to appear in court to be arraigned on the charges. In other parishes, the District Attorney reviews (or "screens") all new arrests to decide whether the case is strong enough to be charged. If the case is solid, you can expect to have the charges accepted and be served to appear in court to be arraigned. If the case is weak, the District Attorney might "refuse" the charge, meaning you will not be charged with a crime.