I was overpaid on child support, now the state is saying that I owe them 3k, is there anything I can do about this? 1 Answers as of March 24, 2011

I was receiving TANIF, and unknowingly was also accepting child support payments. Now the state sent me a letter saying that I owe in overpayment charges, is there any help about this? I signed a document waiving all my child support rights while I was receiving the TANIF grant, should that of protected me from receiving an overpayment?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Edward A. Kroll, Attorney at Law
Edward A. Kroll, Attorney at Law | Edward A. Kroll
It might have protected you if you had not cashed or otherwise accepted the child support funds. But since you did accept them, you have to pay this back. It doesn't make much of a difference if you knew or not - and besides, you would be hard-pressed to demonstrate that you didn't actually know where the extra money you got was coming from. The state will often work with you to set up a payment plan, so that you don't have to pay back the $3,000 all at once.
Answer Applies to: Oregon
Replied: 3/24/2011
Click to View More Answers: