I was never married to my baby's mother. They live in another state, how can I get custody? 7 Answers as of May 09, 2012

I was never married to my baby's mother. They live in another state, how can I get custody? I have been told that they are not living with their mother and she may even be in the hospital, can I file for custody here in Georgia and get my children from there mother in California? I live in Georgia they live In California.

Rebecca Rainwater
Rebecca Rainwater | Rebecca Rainwater
The state where the child lives has jurisdiction, therefore, you would need to file here in California. You would need to file a parentage case which would allow you to establish paternity, and at that time, you can seek custody, visitation, and child support orders.
You would need to file a paternity case in the state in which the child (or children) have lived for the past six months, to seek their custody. You would best consult with an experienced Family Law Attorney in that state (and county) regarding the custody matter.
Peyton and Associates | Barbara Peyton
Under the Uniform Child Custody Jurisidiction Act the court with the power to move the children is the Califotrnia court because they have been living here for the last six months. I suggest you file a motion in the California court to obtain custody (in the best interest of the children) and then get an order allowing you to move them away. I think you will need a lawyer for this work.
Maclean Chung Law Firm
Maclean Chung Law Firm | G. Thomas MacLean Jr.
You would need to file in California, since the state where the children have resided for the last six months is the state that has jurisdiction over the minor children.
You will have to file here in California if the children have been here for at least six months.
    If the children live in California, you have to file the case in California. You cannot open the case in your state. It has to be in the state where the children reside.
    Law Offices of Frances Headley | Frances Headley
    The court that has jurisdiction is the place where the children are living. If you wish to pursue custody you will have to bring an action at least initially in the county where they live.