I was cited for shoplifting and I was wondering what will happen to me if it is my first offense? 5 Answers as of January 29, 2014

My first time being in trouble. They caught me on camera.

Hire a lawyer to help. We normally get the matter dismissed and get you into diversion. Best money you can spend for this type of offense.
First you should get a good lawyer. Second you go to court and plead NOT guilty. I do not care if you are on camera. (If you plead guilty right away, then you give up all your bargaining power.) The lawyer may be able to work out a deal where you end up with NO conviction for theft on your record. This is huge since these records are permanent.? What employer wants to hire a thief?
Petty theft is a crime of moral turpitude, and if convicted you can kiss your career aspirations goodbye. Hire a lawyer before you get duped into a plea you will regret for life.
LeadfootSpeedingTicket.com
LeadfootSpeedingTicket.com | Andrea Storey Rogers
If this is in Missouri, the maximum penalty for misdemeanor (under $500) shoplifting is 1 year in jail and a fine of $1,000. You need to hire an attorney to represent you. Your attorney can probably get the charge dismissed or amended to a lesser offense. You will have to pay a fine and court costs, but you probably won't have to appear in court.
Pius Joseph A Professional Law Corp. | Pius Joseph
Booking, summary probation, restitution. If you have a lawyer you may be able to explore other options such as diversion, infraction etc.