I was charged with 242 Battery, about 2 months ago. This is my first offense ever, what are the real chances of jail? 6 Answers as of August 28, 2013

I've never been charged for anything before, nor have I ever even been to court. I'm worried, because one of the things I keep seeing as a possible punishment is "6 months jail time". This has me concerned, how good are my chances this will not be the punishment? I'm fine with facing the music if I have to do community service, pay a fine, or both. I made a mistake, and I'm sure it won’t go unpunished. But jail is something I haven't experience, and wondering if I'm over thinking it, or I really could go to jail. I understand nothing is definite, but in the usual circumstance, how do these things turn out?

Without knowing all the details and prior history I can't answer this question.
Each case is different and the final punishment will depend on many factors, too numerous to go into in this type of forum. If you have not done so already, I strongly suggest that you hire an attorney to represent you.
Instead of worrying about the jail time, you need to focus your attention on how you can avoid being convicted.
You did not mention the victim's condition; if minor injuries, you will not see jail time.
You could really go to jail. Although you have admitted that you committed the offense (and are good with the punishment), you have included no details about the offense.
    Attorney at Law
    Attorney at Law | Michael J. Kennedy
    Chances of jail are slim, but you should try to get some other disposition [or even fight it], because you will lose your right to possess firearms for 10 years with a 242 conviction.