I was charged gym fees when my membership was supposed to be canceled. What can I do to get my money back? Posted on February 04, 2011

on Dec 31st I signed up for a 7-day free membership to Gold's Gym, but I never took advantage of it even though the manager extended it to a 15-day free membership. The manager also offered me a $1 enrollment fee with a $35 monthly payment, to which I told him I needed to think over. I called before the trial was over to cancel but was told I couldn't cancel over the phone. At the end of January, I got a call from the guy who gave me the tour saying that my membership had been canceled. No problem, I didn't use it anyway.

On Feb 1st, they charged my debit card $50. I call the guy that handles billing today and he tells me that a mistake has been made and that they issue refunds on the 15th and that I should expect it then. An hour later, the manager calls me telling me that I never canceled and that I used the facilities on the 13th of January (LIE), and also that I signed their contract so they don't owe me a refund. If that were true, why would three gym employees tell me that my membership had been canceled and that I shouldn't have been charged?

What can I do to get my money back?