I was charged for petty theft a few weeks ago, I did not steal but the person I was with did what should I do? 3 Answers as of March 06, 2017

I have been charged for petty theft a few weeks ago. I can’t afford an attorney so I was hoping to get some advice. I did not steal anything however the person I was with did. I am being charged because I handed her the shopping basket and went into the dressing room to hand her a thermal. I did not ask her to steal for me and I did know she was stealing. She took in total amount of $360 worth of items. I was hoping to get some advice on what to do and how to handle this situation. I do have a record but not involving theft.

You need to try to avoid a theft conviction. It will follow you through life. If you cannot hire an attorney now to contact the store to try for a civil compromise you should ask for the public defender when you go to court and do not plead guilty or no contest.
Your prior criminal history is not going to help you. And neither is any advice you receive on this forum. You need an attorney to help you in court. If you can't really afford one, then as the judge to appoint the public defender's office to represent you.
Petty theft is a crime of moral turpitude, and if convicted it will really hurt your school/employment aspirations. You should talk to a lawyer, who may be able to work out a deal with the Judge whereby you can earn yourself a dismissal.