I want to stay married after filing for divorce, so what can I do? 1 Answers as of March 10, 2011

Can I be certain that the divorce paperwork I filed does not go through? I want to ensure that my husband and I can stay married. A few months ago, I filed for divorce, and my husband did not to file. We have decided that we want to revoke the papers because we want to stay married. What can I do to stop the process?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Glenn E. Tanner
Glenn E. Tanner | Glenn E. Tanner
You can probably dismiss your case without a problem. Washington Superior Court Civil Rule 41 allows the person who brought the action to dismiss her/his case. If you created, signed and had your husband sign a document called "Agreed Order of Dismissal" and took it to the ex parte department, a judge would probably sign. The order can be simple. For example, the text could read, "The parties agree that this matter should be dismissed. The court clerk shall close the file."

In some counties, if you do nothing, the court will eventually just dismiss the case too, but you would have to know your local county practices. Some counties won't dismiss the case for a long time if ever. I've attached forms that I've used to dismiss cases but you have to adapt them to your situation. Your local court house facilitator (call the clerk for their number) may also have a form for you. Good luck. - Glenn Confidential Communication If you have received this transmission in error, please notify the sender at once by reply or by telephone.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 3/10/2011
Click to View More Answers: