I received a summons about a past due credit card, what do I do now? 6 Answers as of March 22, 2012

I received a summons from the court regarding a past due credit card. I do owe, but I have just been really behind, what should I do now? Do I need a lawyer?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
The Jackson Law Firm
The Jackson Law Firm | Shawn Jackson
Yes, you will want to hire an attorney in your area to respond to the summons and develop a strategy to resolve this issue.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/5/2012
Law Office of John C. Farrell, Jr.
Law Office of John C. Farrell, Jr. | John C. Farrell, Jr.
You don't need a lawyer necessarily at this point if you can try to work something out with the creditor. However, an attorney proficient in debt negotiations and consumer rights may be helpful in avoiding legal actions that can be resolved. Additionally, an attorney in your area may also advise you of your rights and enforce them against the creditor if necessary.
Answer Applies to: Massachusetts
Replied: 3/22/2012
Quitmeier Law Firm, P.C.
Quitmeier Law Firm, P.C. | William M. Quitmeier
I would negotiate a settlement with the creditor and you may need an attorney for this.
Answer Applies to: Missouri
Replied: 3/21/2012
The Smalley Law Firm, LLC | Cary Smalley
I suggest you consult an attorney. If you do not appear in court a default judgment will be entered against you and your wages and/or bank accounts can be garnished. If you appear in court you can either admit the debt, with the same results as above or deny the debt and set the case for trial. I suggest you work out a payment plan or settlement with the creditor or the creditor's attorney.
Answer Applies to: Kansas
Replied: 3/21/2012
The Law Office of Darren Aronow, PC
The Law Office of Darren Aronow, PC | Darren Aronow
You can either get a lawyer to defend you or you can go yourself. If you file a bankruptcy then that debt will be discharged and will not be due to the credit card company.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 3/21/2012
    Park Law Offices LLC | Kevin Parks
    If you've received a summons and complaint, you should contact a lawyer and have a consultation about your options. It's impossible to say what you should do, and how you should respond, without knowing all the facts. Certainly if you can afford to pay off the debt that's past due, that would bring the matter to a resolution. But hiring a lawyer and/or fighting the collection in court will ultimately cost you money, too, so you've got a bit of a cost/benefit analysis to do. Often debt cases can be negotiated and settled, but once a court case has been filed it's more difficult and less likely to be resolved cheaply or easily. Another option you may have is staying the case and eliminating the debt with a bankruptcy filing, but that also has certain costs that come along with it, financial and otherwise.
    Answer Applies to: Oregon
    Replied: 3/21/2012
Click to View More Answers: