I owe unemployment worth $13,000 due to fraud, can I file chapter 7? 14 Answers as of March 17, 2016

I owe unemployment around $13,000 they took my taxes this year and I am on a monthly plan for $120, can I file chapter 7 on this please. Thank you.

If it has been determined to be fraud, they will object to the debt being discharged.
Fraud is not dischargeable in bankruptcy.
If the debt was incurred due to a fraud committed by you, no, bankruptcy would not be an option for you.
You can file a chapter 7, but unemployment often objects to the discharge of claims they believe are fraudulent, which, if they object, means they could pursue you after the chapter 7 is completed. A chapter 13 would solve that problem.
Philip R. Boardman, Attorney at Law
Philip R. Boardman, Attorney at Law | Phil Boardman
That debt is likely non-dichargeable, assuming the "fraud" is the basis for the debt being non-dischargeable.
    Amounts due to fraud may not be discharged in bankruptcy.
    An attorney would have to review the details of your situation to determine if there is any relief available in bankruptcy, but it is very, very doubtful. Obligations occasioned by your practicing fraud are NOT dischargable.
    If the debt owed to unemployment really is due to fraud, Chapter 7 will not help you. But do not jump to conclusions that your debt is considered to be fraud under the bankruptcy law. Consult a local bankruptcy expert for advice.
    Freeman Law Group, LLC
    Freeman Law Group, LLC | Derek Freeman
    Yes, you can file for bankruptcy under chapter 7. But the state will almost certainly object to discharge of that debt you owe for unemployment, and I can almost guarantee that it won't be discharged. If this is the only debt you're concerned about, chapter 7 isn't for you. You can take care of this debt in a chapter 13, and it might even be more favorable than the deal you already have with them. You should talk with a lawyer to learn for sure.
    Its a bit complicated. Meet with an experienced BK lawyer face to face. Offer to pay for the consultation. Bring all paperwork with you.
    Generally speaking, if the debt was the result of your fraud, the debt is not dischargeable in bankruptcy. If you are the victim of someone else's fraud, and truly had no role in it, then you could likely discharge it. Consult a skilled bankruptcy lawyer in your locality. Good Luck.
    Law Offices of Daniel J Winter
    Law Offices of Daniel J Winter | Daniel J Winter
    The short answer is, it depends on the whole situation. The government can challenge your bankruptcy and make you pay it back. Call an attorney for an appointment.
    Goldsmith & Guymon | Marjorie Guymon
    If the debt was incurred through fraud that was proven then no you cannot discharge the obligation in a chapter 7. You can pay it over a five-year term in a chapter 13 if the payment arrangement is a hardship to you.
    Charles Schneider, P.C.
    Charles Schneider, P.C. | Charles J. Schneider
    You can file a chapter 7 but if they file an adversary complaint alleging and proving fraud in the receipt of the unemployment benefits it may not be discharged.