I owe an employer money and we have no written agreement stating when and how much I would repay can he keep my paycheck? 8 Answers as of March 06, 2013

My ex-employer kept my last paycheck of $1700 BC I owed him money for parts.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of Charles R. Perry
Law Offices of Charles R. Perry | Charles R. Perry
Your employer does not have a right to keep your last paycheck on the theory that you owe him money. The proper procedure is for your employer to pay you your wages, and then you pay your employer back. If you do not pay your employer back, your employer can pursue a claim against you in court for the amount you owe. I assume you are in California. If so, your remedy is either before the California Labor Commission or in small claims court. You also may be entitled to penalties for late payment of final wages, pursuant to Labor Code Section 203.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 3/6/2013
KEYL ADR Services, LLC | Mark D. Keyl
He can keep the amount that you owe him. Otherwise, he needs to give you what is owed.
Answer Applies to: Mississippi
Replied: 3/6/2013
Lydy & Moan | C. Gary Wilson
Generally he cannot keep your paycheck. You could sue for the paycheck, but the employer will or should countersue for the parts you owe him for.
Answer Applies to: Ohio
Replied: 3/6/2013
I do not know of any reason the employer may not deduct the sums you owe him.If this is illegal, I am unaware of any law.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 3/6/2013
Law Office of Patricia S. Rose | Patricia S. Rose
Generally such a withholding is illegal.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 3/6/2013
    Law Offices of Linh T. Nguyen
    Law Offices of Linh T. Nguyen | Linh T. Nguyen
    In California, it is illegal for your employer to withhold any money from your paycheck except in some rare circumstances. His failure to give you your last paycheck exposes him to additional penalties and interest on top of paying the $1700 he owes you. One example is waiting time penalties which provide that he owes you a full days wages for every day that he was late paying you the $1700 for up to 30 days. You should consult with a wage and hour attorney who can help you pursue your claim. You may also file a claim with the Labor Commissioner, but you may not be able to recover all the penalties you may be owed.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 3/6/2013
    Law Offices of William S. Lindheim | Fred Fong
    The employer may not unilaterally deduct or withold your wages/commission to pay a debt which you owe him. The employer must either obtain your permission (ie mutual agreement) to deduct it out of your pay cheque, or the employer may take the matter to court and obtain a valid judgment before he can deduct it from you. If the employer unilaterally deducts the debt, it is running the risk of being sued for an hour/wage claim along with all sorts of penalties, interest etc. However, if you sue the employer for the wrongful deduction, the employer can assert in court its right of offset against your claim.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 3/6/2013
    Coane and Associates
    Coane and Associates | Bruce Coane
    Generally, no, he cannot keep your pay check.
    Answer Applies to: Texas
    Replied: 3/6/2013
Click to View More Answers: