I never received a verdict when I contested my ticket. How do I fight late fees? 4 Answers as of November 14, 2010

I contested a parking ticket by mail 5 months ago and have heard nothing back. I sent them a letter about it 2 months ago and still did not hear anything back. I got a little worried about it, and when I checked the status on their website, it says I lost my case and that now I owe late fees for the ticket even though I never heard anything back about this! How do I show that because I never got a verdict, I could not have paid the bill and should not have to pay late fees?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Peter F. Goldscheider
Law Office of Peter F. Goldscheider | Peter Goldscheider
Go to the court and ask the matter be placed on the court calendar and explain what you have said. If the judge believes you he has the power to waive the late fees. This is an excuse however that is common and you may not be believed.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 11/14/2010
Nelson & Lawless
Nelson & Lawless | Terry Nelson
You will have to go and TRY to appeal and negotiate a deal with the agency rep or supervisor on the cost. Many parking tickets are handled by private administrative companies under contract with the city. They seldom have user friendly systems for contest, as they are in business to make money for the city and themselves. The longer you wait, the higher the fees.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 11/11/2010
Law Office of William R Fuhrman
Law Office of William R Fuhrman | William R Fuhrman
In California, the courts permit you to fight a traffic ticket EITHER by appearing in court to obtain a later date for a court trial and then attending that trial


by mailing in a statement of defense for the judge to read and render a verdict.

It is insufficient to write the court a denial and request to fight the ticket. The Court will treat this approach as a failure to fight the ticket in the time allotted and enter a finding of guilty, and impose a fine that you must pay to clear it and the effect on your D/L at DMV.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 11/11/2010
Law Offices of Phil Hache
Law Offices of Phil Hache | Phil Hache
Either go to Court, or hire an attorney to go to court for you to recall the case...to do so, most courts require that you be there first thing in the morning to do so. Not only can you fight the late fees, but you can get another shot at the apple to fight the ticket (generally speaking).
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 11/10/2010
Click to View More Answers: