I need to put my wife in a nursing home, but can’t afford to and don’t qualify for assistance what do I do? 9 Answers as of December 27, 2012

My wife is in ICU now and will not recover. They want to send her to a nursing home, and I don’t think I qualify for any assistance. I think I make too much money, what do I do?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of Ronald A. Steinberg & Associates | Ronald A. Steinberg, BA, MA, JD
Is she dying? If so, consider hospice care. It is not cheap, but the alternative is for you and your family to provide 24/7 care for her. I can tell you from 1st hand experience, that it is a monumentally difficult job to provide that care, especially for someone you love. Contact social services, medicare, medicaid, etc. to see if there is any financial help available.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 12/27/2012
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
Without additional data it is impossible to form an opinion. You should take the details of your situation to an attorney, explain, and then get an opinion which can rely upon.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 12/14/2012
Paul Whitfield and Associates P.A.
Paul Whitfield and Associates P.A. | Paul L. Whitfield
The key is "I make TOO MUCH MONEY" the old America was told to be self sufficient. The new America wants the government to look out for them. I don't know what the answer is. Talk to the people in Social Services Dept and make sure whether you are or are not entitled to some help.
Answer Applies to: North Carolina
Replied: 12/14/2012
Bulman Law Associates PLLC Injury Law Firm
Bulman Law Associates PLLC Injury Law Firm | Thomas Bulman
All the extended care facilities and nursing homes have social workers in their offices. You could call one of the larger corporation run facilities in a neighboring county or city and anonymously find out what the asset and resources rules are for your state and county. Once you know the rules, you can understand and play a smarter game. Just like tax law and regs. If you know the rules you play smarter. I think you'll find you can split and protect your estate to some extent. Your wife might need a special needs trust. Ask a local lawyer that does wills and estate planning.
Answer Applies to: Montana
Replied: 12/14/2012
Victor Varga | Victor Varga
Doesn't sound like a legal question.
Answer Applies to: Maryland
Replied: 12/14/2012
    Andrew T. Velonis, P.C.
    Andrew T. Velonis, P.C. | Andrew Velonis
    You need more information. Most hospitals have a social worker you can consult. You don't think you qualify for assistance, but maybe you do. Perhaps there is a nursing home available with a sliding-scale fee. Maybe with a combination of insurance, social security, medicare and your own finances a package can be put together. Nursing homes also have financial aid offices, so you may be able to get some guidance there.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 12/14/2012
    David F. Stoddard
    David F. Stoddard | David F. Stoddard
    Start looking for assistance. Contact any organization you can find that helps the elderly to get advice. Perhaps contact an elder law attorney for advice.
    Answer Applies to: South Carolina
    Replied: 12/14/2012
    Richard B. Jacobson & Associates, LLC | Richard B. Jacobson
    I sympathize with your suffering, but I simply don't know enough about this area of law to help. I suggest you call the State Bar of Wisconsin and ask to speak to the Lawyer Referral and Information Service. They should be able to put you in contact with a lawyer experienced in 'Elder Law,' who is likely to know how to help.
    Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
    Replied: 12/14/2012
Click to View More Answers: