Would my boyfriend be liable for the debt of my credit cards if I file bankruptcy? 24 Answers as of July 08, 2013

I must file bankruptcy and some of my credit cards I have, my boyfriend could sign on but he is not the primary card holder. Would he be liable for the debt?

J.M. Cook, P.A. | J.M. Cook
Technically, an authorized user is not liable on the credit cards of the primary. However, many cc agreements have in the authorized user form agreement to guarantee the debts. So more than likely, they will try and get the money from him and they may have supporting documents to enforce that collection.
Law Office of Michael J Studtmann, P.A. | Michael J Studtmann
If your boyfriend is just a signor on the card he should not be held liable. You would want to make sure that he is listed as just that in the contract with the card company.
Mercado & Hartung, PLLC | Christopher J. Mercado
They will likely look to him because they can't go after you.
Philip R. Boardman, Attorney at Law
Philip R. Boardman, Attorney at Law | Phil Boardman
No, as long as he is merely an authorized user. If he actually applied for the card, then he would be liable.
Law Office of Susan G. Taylor
Law Office of Susan G. Taylor | Susan G. Taylor
I think not, if he is only an authorized user.
    Eranthe Law Firm
    Eranthe Law Firm | Cate Eranthe
    If he signed the credit card application with you, he would also be liable. If he is just a cardholder and allowed to charge on the account, then no he is not liable.
    It depends on whether he has signed an application or an agreement on the particular card as to whether he will be obligated to pay after your bankruptcy.
    The Law Offices of Seth D. Schraier
    The Law Offices of Seth D. Schraier | Seth D. Schraier
    In most cases, if the only connection that your boyfriend has to the account is the ability to sign for them, but the entire account is in your name, then any bankruptcy filing would not affect him in any way. He may only be affected if he used the cards for expenses you did not authorize and you seek to recover the amount spent from him. But in regards to a Bankruptcy filing, if there is no legal or financial relationship between you and your boyfriend, then he will not be impacted by any Bankruptcy filing on your part.
    Heupel Law
    Heupel Law | Kevin Heupel
    If your boyfriend is a co-debtor, then yes, he would be liable on the credit cards if you file bankruptcy. However, if he is only an authorized user, then no, he would not be liable for the debt. The best thing to do is for your boyfriend to pull his credit report to see if and how the debt is listed before you file bankruptcy. That way, he can decide if he'll need to file as well.
    If he is only an authorized user he is not liable on the cards.
    No, not unless he co signed for your credit cards.
    Judith A. Runyon, Esq. Attorney at Law
    Judith A. Runyon, Esq. Attorney at Law | Judith A. Runyon
    If it is on his credit report, then yes.
    If he is on the credit card contract then he is liable for the debt just like you for the full amount so that if you don't pay then he will be left holding the bag for the entire amount. If his name is on the bill then usually that means he is on the contract. You can call the bank and ask if he is on the contract or just an authorized user. Your credit report might also indicate if he is a joint debtor or an authorized user. If he is just an authorized user of the card then you are the only one liable and bankruptcy will wipe out the debt.
    Indianapolis Bankruptcy Law Office of Eric C. Lewis | Eric Lewis
    Cosigners are liable for debt even if the other cosigner files bankruptcy.
    Law offices of John P. Brooke | John Brooke
    He wouldn't be liable for the debt unless he is a borrower that signed the credit card agreement. If he is just an authorized user than he wouldn't be responsible for the debt.
    If he is a cosigner he is liable. If he isn't, he is not.
    Guardian Law Group PLLC
    Guardian Law Group PLLC | C. David Hester
    Only if he is an account holder. If he is just an authorized user he will not be liable.
    Ross Smith, Attorney at Law
    Ross Smith, Attorney at Law | Charles Ross Smith III
    He could be held liable as an "authorized user." But, he is only liable for the things he actually bought. He is not responsible for the things tht you bought. In actual practice it is very difficult to prove liability on an authorized user, especially if they hire an attorney to defend the suit. Good luck.
    Symmes Law Group, PLLC
    Symmes Law Group, PLLC | Richard James Symmes
    If you BF agrees to be liable for the debt then he will be liable for the debt after you file for bankruptcy.
    The Law Offices of Kristy Qiu
    The Law Offices of Kristy Qiu | Mengjun Qiu
    Only if those credit cards are jointly owned by you and him (doesn't matter if he's the primary account holder), or if he's the co-signer for any of them. If you're not sure if they're jointly owned, get a copy of credit report for both of you and compare them.
    Eliza Ghanooni, Attorney at Law
    Eliza Ghanooni, Attorney at Law | Eliza Ghanooni
    He might beliable if he has used the credit cards and if the credit cards have reported to the credit reporting agencies that he is liable for the debt. You may want to pull his credit report to get more information.
    If he is not a joint holder, he should not be liable.
    Law Offices of Robert P. Taylor
    Law Offices of Robert P. Taylor | Robert P. Taylor
    Generally, he will not be liable if he's just an authorized signer. There's a remote possibility that they could try to sue him if the charging pattern on the card suggests he knew you weren't going to pay and he then decided to go on a spending spree.