I missed my court date for an OVI in Ohio, what would be the consequence ? 2 Answers as of February 23, 2011

I was wondering what sort of consequence I'm looking at. I was arrested for an OVI and failed to attend the court date given. It's been about a month and I would really like to take care of this.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Rice & Co., LPA
Rice & Co., LPA | Kollin Rice
When a person misses a court date for a criminal or traffic charge, a warrant is almost always issued unless the defendant of the defendant's attorney has made some effort to prevent this. A warrant will ordinarily result in the suspension of your drivers' license until it has been released (and any fees associate with it are paid, usually $15.)

In the instance of a traffic warrant, it is unlikely that any law enforcement agencies are going to come out looking for you, but if you come to the attention of a police officer, a check for warrants will likely be run, and you will be arrested. People who have been arrested on a warrant after a failure to appear will likely be held until they can be brought in front of the court and/or required to post a bond to be released.

If you have a warrant out for you, you should retain a lawyer and have that lawyer make arrangements to appear with you in court to clear the warrant. If you come to court in this manner, there is a good chance you can avoid being arrested or held in jail, and you may be released on your own recognizance, or given a bond that may be substantially less than if you were arrested, or simply turned yourself in to the police.

It is important to take control over the process of turning yourself in to minimize the disruption to your life that may otherwise occur. If you let the warrant ride, you may find yourself picked up on the way to work (or at work) and lose your job, or you may find yourself sitting a weekend in jail before you can be brought before a judge.
Answer Applies to: Ohio
Replied: 2/23/2011
Ron Graham Attorney at Law
Ron Graham Attorney at Law | Ron Graham
You need to contact the court and make arrangments to go in.
Answer Applies to: Ohio
Replied: 2/23/2011
Click to View More Answers: