I just got married, will this change the way I file? 3 Answers as of June 15, 2011

I am planning to file my US citizenship by next month. I married my fiancee just last month. Do I need to state my new marital status in my application for my naturalization? Is there any form to change my marital status? Does it affect my naturalization application process? How long does it take? How can I bring my wife to the US immediately?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Lyttle Law Firm, PLLC
Lyttle Law Firm, PLLC | Daniella Lyttle
Yes, you need to state your current marital status at the time you file. If there's any changes while the application is pending, you can update your file at the naturalization interview.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 6/15/2011
Calderón Seguin PLC
Calderón Seguin PLC | Ofelia L. Calderon
Yes, you need to state your marital status on your application. You do not need to inform USCIS separately. It does not affect your naturalization process. Citizenship processing times depend on where you live and what the line is like at your district office. It is a high priority application that generally takes about 4-8 months, but depends on the location. You cannot bring your wife IMMEDIATELY, but you can file a petition on her behalf and once you get citizenship the process will go more quickly and she will likely be here within a year of your citizenship.
Answer Applies to: Virginia
Replied: 6/15/2011
Law Office of Baoqin Wang
Law Office of Baoqin Wang | Baoqin Wang
You need to list your current marital status on the application. It won't affect the process. It generally takes around 4 months to have a final decision in citizenship application. The process to bring spouse to the US is complicated, it could take around 1 year. You start by filing applications with USCIS.
Answer Applies to: Oregon
Replied: 6/15/2011
Click to View More Answers: