I just found out now that I have a default warrant, what happens if I turn myself in? 2 Answers as of January 07, 2015

I just found out I got a default warrant in a town I haven't lived in in over 20 years and I never received anything in the mail saying I had a court date. So my question is what can happen if I go turn myself in when I didn't even know about this till now?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Gregory Casale Attorney at Law
Gregory Casale Attorney at Law | Gregory Casale
The outcome depends on the judge as to whether or not they will hold you on bail pending resolution of the case. It would be in your favor that you turned yourself in instead of being picked up by police and especially if it is a "straight warrant" meaning issued by the court prior to any appearance by you. You would certainly be safer to turn yourself in with private counsel as it is evidence to the court that you 1) intend to deal with the case by hiring an attorney, and that 2) you do not intent to flee, since if that were the case you would not likely pay the expense of a lawyer before doing so. Since you should have \legal representation anyway to resolve the case, your best course would be to hire that attorney before surrendering yourself.
Answer Applies to: Massachusetts
Replied: 1/7/2015
Botelho Law Group | Joseph F. Botelho, Esq.
The best thing for you to do would be to find the District Court in which the warrant was processed and tell them that you want to remove the default warrant. There will be a monetary charge associated with doing this, but as the warrant is so old you most likely will not have to deal with anything like being locked up. If it was a serious charge they would've found you by now. When I was an Assistant District Attorney I believe the charge was $45 to remove a default warrant. Don't forget you will have to address the crime, but since it's most likely not very serious it will most likely just be dismissed as no one is going to want to deal with the crime this old.
Answer Applies to: Massachusetts
Replied: 1/6/2015
Click to View More Answers: