I invested in my mother's house which was in a reverse mortgage. She died without a will. Can I sell the house? 4 Answers as of July 10, 2013

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Janke Legal Consulting | Bruce C. Janke
Did your mother add your name to the title (deed)? If so, you have to read the deed carefully. If your mother conveyed the property to herself and you as "joint tenants," then you are now the sole owner of the property. If the deed reads "tenants in common," then since your mother did not leave a will, her share of the house goes to her heirs (if your father is also deceased, her heirs would be you and any siblings you may have). The same is true if your mother never put your name on the deed. In either case, you will probably have to file a proceeding in the probate court in order to get title to the house legally transferred to you and any other of your mother's heirs. I highly recommend that you see a probate attorney immediately because all of the above is complicated by the reverse mortgage.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/9/2013
Stephens Gourley & Bywater | David A. Stephens
Assuming you are on the title, you can sell the house as long as you pay the reverse mortgage in full. If you are not on title, you will need to probate the house to get authority to sell it.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 7/10/2013
Frank Law Group, P.C.
Frank Law Group, P.C. | David E. Frank
We need much more information in order to answer your question.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/9/2013
The Law Office of Darren Aronow, PC
The Law Office of Darren Aronow, PC | Darren Aronow
You have to go through probate court first.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 7/9/2013
Click to View More Answers: