I have a felony conviction in one state, if I move to another state can I get my gun rights back? 8 Answers as of December 11, 2013

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Michael Breczinski
Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
No. This is based on Federal law also.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 12/11/2013
Gates' Law, PLLC | Thomas E. Gates
No, you have lost your civil rights and it applies to all states. To get your gun rights back, you will need to petition the court to do so.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 12/3/2013
IT Forensics, Inc.
IT Forensics, Inc. | Christopher K. Steuart
Generally you have to comply with the laws of the state where you want to possess a gun, and states recognize the convictions of other states as representing crimes. To be sure that you can possess a firearm in any state you would need to address the conviction in the state (and in the specific court) where the conviction happened.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 12/3/2013
Law Office of Eric Sterkenburg
Law Office of Eric Sterkenburg | Eric Sterkenburg
Any person who (a) has been convicted of a felony under the laws of the United States, the State of California, or any other state, government, or country, or (b) is addicted to any narcotic drug may not own or have in his or her possession, custody, or control any firearm. (Penal Code ? 12021(a).) A felony conviction refers to a conviction of an offense that can only result in felony punishment under California law, or any sentence to a federal correctional facility for more than 30 days, or a fine of more than $1,000, or both. (Penal Code ? 12021(f).)
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 12/3/2013
The Rogers Law Firm
The Rogers Law Firm | Andrea Storey Rogers
No. States share information about criminal convictions, so the other state will know about your felony conviction.
Answer Applies to: Missouri
Replied: 12/3/2013
    Law Office of Brendan M. Kelly
    Law Office of Brendan M. Kelly | Brendan M. Kelly
    No, must have the conviction overturned or a pardon of the offense.
    Answer Applies to: Nebraska
    Replied: 12/3/2013
    Austin Legal Services, PLC
    Austin Legal Services, PLC | Jared Austin
    If you move to another state then you are under the laws and jurisdiction of that particular state. You would have to look up the laws in that state or contact a criminal defense attorney that specializes in firearms laws in that state to determine if you're eligible to own, use, or possess a firearm in that state. However, keep in mind that just because you may be eligible to have a firearm in that state, you could still be precluded under federal law.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 12/3/2013
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
    No, it is a federal law you are dealing with, but there may be other ways to solve this. See an attorney.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 12/3/2013
Click to View More Answers: