I have a CR1 visa and overstayed my visa in Costa Rica, will this affect my US resident status? 4 Answers as of December 21, 2010

I came to the US on a cr1 visa and traveled to Costa Rica using my green card to visit, after overstaying the 30 days that we are allowed when entering as a tourist will this affect my ability to return or cause any trouble with my conditional residency in the US.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Pacifica Legal Services
Pacifica Legal Services | Floyd Fernandez
The short answer is no, unless you stayed in Costa Rica for more than six months, a result of which you violated the restrictions on a legal permanent resident's visa, unless you had received a I-131 Parole to depart the country temporarily. If you need more consultation, please feel free to e-mail or call to set up an appointment.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 12/21/2010
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law | Linda Liang
As long as you spend more than 6 months in US, you will be okay with your green card status. If you have other issues, please feel free to contact us for help.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 12/3/2010
The Purnell Law Firm
The Purnell Law Firm | Simon Purnell
If I understand correctly, you are wondering what the effect of a Costa Rican immigration overstay/violation would have on your United States immigrant status. Generally, the US will only consider your conduct as it applies to your resident alien status (and not any other country's issues).
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 12/3/2010
Marie Michaud Attorney At Law
Marie Michaud Attorney At Law | Marie Michaud
Violating the immigration law of Costa Rica will not affect your US immigration status. Just don't stay out of the US for more than 180 days.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 12/3/2010
Click to View More Answers: