I had my car impounded for 30 days because the driver had a suspended license, can I get it earlier? 5 Answers as of June 23, 2011

My girlfroemd was driving my car and got a DUI. Her license was also suspended. My car was subsequently impounded and is currently on a 30 day hold. I contacted the police department and they say it is irreversible. I talked to some other people and they say the police are legally required to release the car to the registered owner if they were in the vehicle at the time, which I was. What can I do?

There is an officer at the DMV whose job it is to provide due process of law and protect your rights. So long as you are the registered owner and did not know the driver's license was suspended the car should be returned to you as long as you pay for towing and storage.
You said it was impounded for 30 days. That is the penalty imposed by law. The police already told you that. You can reclaim it at the end of that time, by paying the impound fees, which will be substantial.
Wallin & Klarich: A Law Corporation
Wallin & Klarich: A Law Corporation | Paul Wallin
The California Vehicle Code allows for the impounding of any vehicle driven by a person who has a suspended drivers license. for up to 30 days. However, the detention of the car is not without recourse. The registered owner- thru the vehicle code- may request a hearing with two days notice of the validity of the detention.
You may need an attorney if they will not release it. If you knew that her license was suspended you are likely out of luck.You do have a right to ask for a hearing with the police department while you are deciding to get one or not.
Regardless of what happened, you should be able to get your car out now, because the offender is not the owner of the vehicle. Just bring your ID/documents to the police station to get a signed release, then bring the release to the impound (if not the same place).