I got a minor as a DUI, can I get my license back after I turn 19? 3 Answers as of August 18, 2011

If I live in Illinois and I got a DUI when I was 16 almost 17, can I get my license back in Florida after I turn 19? I really need to know this information because I'm trying to currently move to Florida and go to school. I need a license when I move down there and get settled so I am able to go places like work and school. Please respond back.

If your license was revoked or suspended for the DUI, you must first clear it with the Secretary of State. See an informal hearing officer in a local branch office and find out exactly what the requirements are for reinstatement of your privileges here. Florida will not issue you a license if you are revoked or suspended here in Illinois, so go see the Secretary of State right away.
Donahue, Sowa & Magana Attorneys at Law
Donahue, Sowa & Magana Attorneys at Law | Glenn M. Sowa
Before you can obtain a license in Florida, you must reinstate your driving privileges in Illinois. You did not say exactly why you do not have a license in Illinois. If you have a "revocation" for a conviction on the DUI, you must first complete all your alcohol treatment before you can petition the Secretary of State for reinstatement. You will probably need a formal hearing before the SOS. If you are "suspended" for some other reason relative to the DUI, obtaining your driving privileges may be as simple as paying a reinstatement fee. It's best to check with a qualified attorney to review your situation and tell you exactly what needs to be done.