Is it legal for a cop to hit me with his pistol in my head? 4 Answers as of February 03, 2012

I got into a car accident and hit parked cars for DUI. When I was exiting the car an off duty officer did not show. No proof that he was a cop and pistol whip me to the right side of my head.

No. He can't do that (based on what little information you've provided).
Lutwin & Lutwin, LLP | Joel M. Lutwin
You were assaulted? You have 90 days to file a notice of claim against the city of new york and 1yr and 90 days to sue them-get a lawyer
The Law Office of Stephen R. Chesley, LLC
The Law Office of Stephen R. Chesley, LLC | Stephen R. Chesley
A police officer should not strike anyone unless he feels that he is in fear for his life or is being put in a dangerously harmful situation. If he was acting as an officer and did not identify himself this also is a problem. If you were injured and believe you were a victim of a police brutality please contact an attorney. You must file a notice of claim against the police department within 90 days of the incident.
Of course it isn't legal. But proving that it happened that way is going to be difficult. Police frequently have false allegations made against them. But, it is true that there have been occasions when police commit abuses of authority or excessive use of force. You need an attorney experienced in these matters who can conduct a proper investigation.