I filed for dissolution in 2005 but haven't had my ex served yet. What do I do now? 5 Answers as of March 21, 2011

The case is still open but since it's been so long since I initially filed, I'm not sure what to do next. No changes have been made except our addresses, he lives out of state now. The divorce is non-contested on both parties, I don't want child support, we don't want the court to appoint visitation and I don't want alimony. What's the easiest way to move forward on the dissolution?

Goldberg Jones
Goldberg Jones | Zephyr Hill
You need to complete Service, exchange disclosures, sign a Settlement Agreement, and submit the necessary Judgment papers. Hire an attorney to do this for you if you can. If it is uncontested you should be able to find one to do it for a flat fee.
Your initial filing has now expired by operation of law. You will need to dismiss your initial petition and refile. I can assist you with your case. Please contact me for a free consultation.
Look up the case on your Superior Court's website and find out whether or not it has been dismissed for,lack of prosecution. If it has been dismissed,file a new action for Dissolution of Marriage. If it hasn't been dismissed, you and your spouse should quickly prepare and exchange Preliminary Declarations of Disclosure, you should prepare a Stipulated Judgment to be signed by you and your spouse, you should prepare a Waiver of Final Declaration of Disclosure and an Appearance, Stipulations and Waivers form for you and your spouse to file, you should prepare a Declaration re Uncontested Dissolution and a Notice of Entry of Judgment (in quadruplicate), you should prepare two stamped envelopes to you and to your spouse for the Court to send the Notice of Entry of Judgment to you once Judgment is entered, and you should prepare one stamped envelope for the Court to send a copy (which you should provide to the Court) of the Judgment to you, once signed, filed and entered, and the case can be concluded. If the tasks are too unwieldy for you, retain a Family Law Attorney to handle the case for you and it should be resolved fairly quickly.
First, serve your ex with the dissolution petition. Next, if as you said, you're both in agreement about how to settle your divorce issues, then you can finalize your divorce by "default with agreement." There are certain papers that need to be filed, along with your written agreement, typically in the form of a Marital Settlement Agreement (MSA). The legal self help center at the court can provide instructions on how to proceed via "default by agreement." Or, call a local family law lawyer for assistance with that process. Good luck.
Edwin Fahlen Attorney at Law
Edwin Fahlen Attorney at Law | Edwin Fahlen
You need to check with the court. It is possible, and probable that the court dismissed your case long ago, since you seem to indicate no orders were ever made. Since I do not know what county the case is in I cannot answer the question specific to you. If the case was dismissed, you may file a new case and proceed to obtain the orders you want.