I do not have a mate to adopt my daughter how can terminate her biological father's rights? 10 Answers as of December 05, 2012

There is no form in family law to start this process. Do I simply file a request for order to petition to declare minor free from parental custody and control, and then attach my pleading of the petition and citation?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Victor Varga | Victor Varga
No. Just file for sole custody.
Answer Applies to: Maryland
Replied: 12/5/2012
Law Offices of Ward F. McDonough, Jr. | Ward F. McDonough, Jr.
Biological father has rights and unless he waives the rights and is still alive, he will have to be notified of your decision
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 12/4/2012
The Law Office of Cathy R. Cook
The Law Office of Cathy R. Cook | Cathy R. Cook
In Oho, you cannot terminate a parent's rights unless there is someone to replace them, and that has to be a new spouse.
Answer Applies to: Ohio
Replied: 12/4/2012
Burnett Evans Banks
Burnett Evans Banks | Paul Evans
You are correct that adoption by a step-father would serve to terminate bio-dad's parental rights. Otherwise, you would need evidence of very serious abuse or neglect to get an order for restricted or supervised contact with the child. Of course, absent an adoption, bio-dad's obligation to support his child would continue.
Answer Applies to: Missouri
Replied: 12/2/2012
John E. Kirchner, Attorney at Law
John E. Kirchner, Attorney at Law | John Kirchner
What you want to do is not possible in Colorado.
Answer Applies to: Colorado
Replied: 12/2/2012
    John Russo | John Russo
    There no procedure in a private termination proceeding that does not include an adoption petition that I am aware of.
    Answer Applies to: Rhode Island
    Replied: 12/2/2012
    Petit & Dommershausen SC
    Petit & Dommershausen SC | Tajara Dommershausen
    It is very unlikely you will get a court to do this without a stepparent to adopt.
    Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
    Replied: 12/2/2012
    Woolley Wilson, LLP
    Woolley Wilson, LLP | William R. Wilson
    You will need to file a Motion To Terminate Parental rights and show good cause to grant the Motion. The Motion Will need to be served on the father. The court may appoint an Ad Litem attorney for the child to determine if the termination is in the child's best interest.
    Answer Applies to: Texas
    Replied: 12/2/2012
    Mary W Craig P.C. | Mary W Craig
    You must file a petition with the court to terminate parental rights, but you will need some very good reasons to do that such as abuse, abandonment, that sort of thing. Whether you have a man to adopt your daughter is immaterial.
    Answer Applies to: Alabama
    Replied: 12/2/2012
    Elizabeth Jones, A Professional Corporation
    Elizabeth Jones, A Professional Corporation | Elizabeth Jones
    The court will not leave the child fatherless.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 12/2/2012
Click to View More Answers: