I completed the prop 36 program, will I be able to become an emt? 4 Answers as of April 04, 2011

I was convicted for drugs and instead of jail time was given the opportunity to prop 36..i completed the program and the judge said that all records of the offense would be sealed. I plan on enrolling for an e.m.t program and they require a background check, will this show up even though it has been sealed, or is there no chance for me to be an e.m.t?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Peter F. Goldscheider
Law Office of Peter F. Goldscheider | Peter Goldscheider
You need to address this question to your potential employer. If they use a dismissed conviction as the basis for denying you employment you can request the legal basis for their doing so. Whether it is illegal to rely on a dismissed case per Prop 36 then becomes a question for an attorney who specializes in employment law or has expertise in this area.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/4/2011
Law Office of Tracey S. Sang
Law Office of Tracey S. Sang | Tracey Sang
It will show because the arrest itself will likely show when the state runs a rap sheet. However, as the case was dismissed and expunged you need not report it when applying for the EMT license.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 3/30/2011
Nelson & Lawless
Nelson & Lawless | Terry Nelson
Thats up to the licensing agency and the employer you may apply to. You are generally required to disclose any convictions [expunged, withdrawn, sealed or otherwise] on any application for government and professional employment and licensing, bonding, security clearance, etc. The licensing agency and employer then can decide whether you are barred from licensing or employment because of your record. A drug offense would logically be grounds for concern for an EMT position. You should talk to your school or program director about this before spending money and time. If they say you dont have to disclose, then go for it.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 3/30/2011
Click to View More Answers: