I am a US citizen. How can I help my deported father return legally? 6 Answers as of December 19, 2010

I was born in the US and am a citizen. My parents lived here illegally for years before getting caught. My mom was allowed to stay with me because I was only 13 then, and we had no other family here, but my dad was deported. How can I help him return legally?

If you are a citizen and you are over 21, you can sponsor him. You can file a petition for alien relative, and get that approved. If he is still in his home country, and has never recrossed the border, to the knowledge of the government, then he can apply for permission to file for waiver of inadmissibility and legal permanent residence, especially if it has been more than 10 years since his deportation, which came when you were 13. If you would like help, I would be glad to give it. Call or e-mail me, to schedule an in-person or telephone consultation. Best to you.
If he has satisfied the conditions of his deportation order by having been outside the US for the requisite period of time and he is not otherwise inadmissible, you can petition for him (provided you are over the age of 21) and once the petition is approved, he will be able to consular process for his immigrant visa at the US Embassy in his home country.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or how I can be of further assistance to you in this matter.
You should seek help from a lawyer to assess the possibility for him to obtain a waiver to immigration bar.
Depends (I would think) on the circumstances under which your father was deported and whether he is still subject to the automatic 10 year ban on reentry or other restrictions that would prevent his return to the United States. Best to arrange for a consultation with an immigration attorney who could further advise you on this matter.
Marie Michaud Attorney At Law
Marie Michaud Attorney At Law | Marie Michaud
If you are 21 or older, you can petition for him. The petition is the first step, and it takes 5 to 6 months for a decision. The second step will involves consular processing. He will have to show he is "admissible". This involves many things, such as no criminal history, and no previous illegal presence in the US. If your dad has been out of the US for 10 years, he might not have problem with his prior illegal presence.