I am a U.S. citizen. Can I apply green card for my mom and my brother who live in Thailand? 3 Answers as of December 07, 2010

I am a U.S. citizen. Can I apply green card for my mom and my brother who live in Thailand?

Yes, you most certainly can sponsor both your mom and your brother in a petition for legal residency. However, the paths of the two diverge in one big respect. You can sponsor your mother, and once her petition is approved, she can file the second part of the application process through an application to adjust status. Spouses, minor children, and parents of U.S. citizens are not subject to the numerical quotas imposed upon all other eligible applicants for legal residency. But your brother is. He is in what is called the fourth preference category, and the wait to be able to adjust status can be for 7 to 14 years, because the numbers available are just too few.

If you want to consult about that further, please feel free to contact me by phone or e-mail. Best to you.
Yes, each should qualify as an immediate realtive of you, a U.S. citizen, sponsoring their respective applications for lawful permanent residency in the United States.
JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office
JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office | Jack C. Sung
Yes. You can petition for your mother and your brother in Thailand. Your mother will be able to receive the green card within 8 months. Your brother will have to wait for about 8 to 9 years for the priority date to become current. For more information please call my office.