I am unemployed and would like to apply for us citizen, will this affect my application? 4 Answers as of January 27, 2011

I have applied for us citizen before but got denied due to morale. I want to apply again but I am unemployed will this affect my application? Also I came in to the US and hold a refugee visa. I was not sure why I was denied on the first place. I have not committed any crime or even a speeding ticket. Please help.

Being unemployed is not grounds for denial of your naturalization application. I would be concerned about that your first application was denied to lack of good moral character. The decision should state what you did or what was the bases for such a determination. A lack of good moral character can be a result of actions, other than criminal matters. Examples of things that could be found to be a lack of good moral character include: failure of males between the ages of 18 and 26 to register for selection service; failure to file tax returns, and failure to pay child support.
Unemployment will not affect your ability to apply for U.S. citizenship but you should have an attorney review your first denial and discuss it with you before you spend the money to apply again. Certain good moral character issues could also affect your permanent residency.
Hugo Florido ESQ.
Hugo Florido ESQ. | Hugo Florido
Unemployment does not effect eligibility for citizenship.
What do you mean you hold a refugee visa? Do you have a green card? Did you retain a lawyer's service? If you show us your denial paper, we will be able to know what are the reasons of denial and will be able to reapply for you with argument to avoid the same mistake. You are welcome to contact us.