I am uncomfortable having my landlord in my apt without my roommate or me there, do we have to allow her access? Posted on February 23, 2011

My roommate and I have a tense relationship with our landlord. She has neglected to maintain our apartment before and during our tenancy. When she continued to ignore us we sent her a letter and called an inspector. The due date to make the repairs ordered by the inspector were due February 23, 2011, giving her 33 days. She started them yesterday. In our previous letter we had requested that she give us 24 hour notice for repairs because we would like to be able to make arrangements to be home at that time. We wrote her a note saying that we would not be home after 12pm today, but she could come back when we returned from school/work a few hours later. We request this not only because she shows complete disregard for our belongings and safety (for example: she left our back exit door ajar yesterday when she left), she harasses us and has outwardly threatened and insulted me. Whenever we run into her, she is menacing. For these reasons, we do not want her here without one of us present. At 12pm today, I told her I would need to be leaving soon, would she please mind coming back. She said she wouldn't leave. I ended up having to pick up a friend to stay while I was at class. I later found out that my landlord had planned on painting an area of the apartment we didn't know she would be in and she did not care to protect any of our belongings. Luckily my friend was able to cover/move things before she started. She plans on coming back tomorrow to finish her repairs, but neither my roommate or I can be home until 1pm. We tried to find somebody to come, but we couldn't. We plan on filing rent escrow for March (we had to wait until the orders expired) and asking for rent abatement for the months that our apartment was substandard. Will it hurt our case to lock the doors and not let her in while we're gone because of her history of malice toward us and disregard for our property?