I am obligated to provide my parents-in-law with visitation rights? 1 Answers as of November 03, 2010

I am getting a divorce from my husband and we have a two-year old daughter. We do not even know who has custody yet although I want sole custody and to grant him fixed visitation rights with supervision. However his parents have approached me asking me for visitation rights as well and I was wondering if I was legally obligated to figure them into the schedule as well.

As a general rule, the grandparents would not be entitled to any grandparenting visitation until the parents are divorced. Even then, if there is an opportunity for the Grandparents to see the grandchild when their son or daughter has them in their care, that is what occurs. As a result, there is usually no purpose in determining grandparenting visits until the underlying custody and parenting time issues between the parents are decided. For Minnesota issues visit our website.