I am a green card holder, how can I bring my husband into the US? 9 Answers as of December 17, 2010

How long will it take him to come and be with me or can he be given a visa to come on a short term visit? how fast can this be?

Shah Peerally Law Group PC
Shah Peerally Law Group PC | Shah Peerally
You can file an I-130 petition and wait for the processing time to be current. The time is indicated on the visa bulletin from the State Department. Based on December visa bulletin, it was taking only 6 months to process. However, the new visa bulletin has retrogressed the time to around 2 years. Therefore, it is always good to file it right now hoping that the waiting time will be reduced later. In addition, once you become a US citizen, you can upgrade the petition. I will highly recommend to talk to a good immigration lawyer before you file the paperwork. Note that if your spouse is in the US, please do not file unless to talk to an experience immigration lawyer. Our law firm has handled many similar cases.
441 Legal Group, Inc.
441 Legal Group, Inc. | Gareth H. Bullock
Right it is going to take awhile as the visa dates just got longer. If he gets a visa and enters the country he needs to remain in status. You should apply for your citizenship as soon as you are eligible.
Thank you for contacting our office. Based on the information in your email it appears we can assist you in your matter. How long it will take depends on numerous factors, and what method is the best does so as well. I recommend that you contact our office to schedule a FREE initial consultation so we can gather all the facts and discuss your options. When calling to schedule the consultation please tell the receptionist that I advised you to call and to schedule it.
If you are a lawful permanent resident, you are allowed to sponsor your husband for a green card. Processing will depend upon what country he is from and can be anywhere from five-twenty years. For that reason, as soon as you can, I recommend becoming a US citizen, as long as you meet eligibility requirements. In that instance, your husband is immediately able to process. Your petition can also be upgraded when you become a USC, so that you don't need to refile that petition.
Yes. The wait could be 2 years or even longer. Yes, he can come here on a visa. Good luck!
    Pauly P.A.
    Pauly P.A. | Clemens W. Pauly
    You must apply for an immigrant visa for your husband on form I-130. You can find this form, the instructions and additional information on this topic at www.uscis.gov. However, the US State Department has just announced in its Visa Bulletin for January 2011 that the waiting period for your husband to immigrate to the US would be approximately 3 years (or even more than 5 1/2 years, if he is a Mexican national). These waiting period change periodically, but do not expect that they will decrease anytime soon. You can find the monthly Visa Bulletins at http://travel.state.gov.

In the interim, your husband could obtain a B visa for a short term visit as a tourist to the US. He would have to apply for this visa at the US consulate in the area where he lives. He would have to demonstrate sufficient home-country ties that make it credible to the US consul that he will actually return to his home country after a short visit to you. It may be difficult to convince a US consul that your husband will only come to visit his wife briefly and then return home again, so this application should be well-prepared and documented. Detailed information about the application procedure it on the webpages of the US consulates and you can find a link to the consulate websites' at http://travel.state.gov.

If he has a university degree he could also qualify for a temporary work visa, provided he has a US employer who would be willing to sponsor him. Based on his nationality and background there may also be other temporary visas available to him.

Finally, if you have been a green card holder for 5 years, you can apply for US citizenship. Once you are a US citizen, there are no more waiting periods for your husband. However, you need to check with your home country first what it would mean for your own citizenship if you were to apply to become a US citizen. Germans, for instance, will lose their German citizenship by law if they take on another citizenship by application, unless they obtain prior permission from the German government.

In any case, after reviewing the links, forms and instructions, you should probably still consult an immigration lawyer about the best strategy in your case.
    I am afraid that the waiting period can be quite long. Your husband, after you file an I-130 Petition for Alien Relative, and it is approved, will have to wait, according to the January 2011 State Department Visa Bulletin, he will be classified as a level 2A preference, reserved for spouses of legal residents. The wait will be at least 2 1/2 years to get permission to file an application to adjust status, If your husband is from Mexico, the wait is at least 5 years. In the meantime, I would ask, when do you become eligible for citizenship? That would change matters significantly. If I can be of help, by all means e-mail or call to set up an in-person or phone consultation.
    For many years it was 5-6 years for a green card holder to bring his or her spouse but this month they are working on cases filed in July 2010. This will move backwards in January again but is expected to get better in February. Best is to get the petition on file to get in line and then we and you can monitor the progress to estimate when he can come. When are you eligible to file to become a citizen? Feel free to call my office to discuss the details of your case and we can come up with a plan to bring him here ASAP including looking at short term options (called nonimmigrant visas).
    The Vega Law Firm
    The Vega Law Firm | Linda Vega
    How long have you been an LPR? From what country are originally? These questions matter because there is a process which determines how long you will have to wait.

You may file an I-130 for your spouse and it will take up to 1 to 2 years for your priority date to be available depending from which country you are from.

Please visit with an immigration attorney to help you with the process and to answer any questions that you may have.