I am a green card holder, how can I bring my boyfriend into the US? 4 Answers as of April 20, 2011

It's 3 months that I've got my green card.I am a green card holder and will be applying for my citizenship this 2015, I am a student now. But I want to know what is the fastest way I can bring my boyfriend here. Should I wait for my citizenship or should we get marry in Iran and then petition him after our wedding?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Nicastro Piscopo, APLC
Nicastro Piscopo, APLC | Louis M. Piscopo
Since you are a Green Card holder you cannot petition him until you get married. The fast way would be to petition him while you are still a Green Card holder. Then once you become a US Citizen you can upgrade the petition. This could save several months on the processing times. Otherwise the only option is if your boyfriend is eligible for an student visa or a H1B work visa. Both would be difficult since he is from Iran.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/20/2011
World Esquire Law Firm
World Esquire Law Firm | Aime Katambwe
Yes get marry in Iran and then petition him after your wedding and wait for your priority date to become available and do consular processing. The upside is that if you become a USC while he is still waiting, then your petition will be automatically upgraded to 1st preference. Good luck!
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/19/2011
Law Office of Christine Troy
Law Office of Christine Troy | Christine Troy
As a green card holder, you are allowed to file the first step of the green card process. It will be several years before he can immigrate on that basis. If you become a USC during the pendency of the I-130 petition, then your case will be upgraded to fit the new category. For that reason, your boyfriend needs to find a different way to be in the US for the next several years. You may want to look at the H-1B category, as this allows immigrant intent, ie his intent to obtain a green card. Other options include a student visa or employment visas such as an E, L or H-2b.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/19/2011
Law Offices of Caro Kinsella
Law Offices of Caro Kinsella | Caro Kinsella, Esq.
You must be a citizen to petition for him, as otherwise he will be in the 2nd preference category if you file for him as a green card holder. Quickest way for him to come over is under some type of nonimmigrant type visa such as a student (F-1) visa.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 4/18/2011
Click to View More Answers: