I am entitled to any of my husband's reitrement money? 6 Answers as of July 14, 2011

My husband and I are both retired law enforcement officers. His retirement is twice as much as mine. He is entitled to Social Security at age 62. Am I entitled to any of his retirement?

Assuming that you and your husband are getting a divorce, each of you is entitled to your respective 1/2 community share of the other party's retirement. Retirement funds earned during the marriage comprise the community share, but retirement funds earned prior to marriage are not part of that community share.
California community property law establishes that any spouses earnings acquired during the marriage is community property. If your husband's retirement was earned all or in part during the marriage, then you will be entitled to your portion earned during the marriage. If retirement was earned before marriage or after separation, then that segment would be the husband's separate property. To protect your legal rights and get a better understanding of your options, I urge you to meet with a skilled family law attorney.
Law Office of Margaret D. Wilson
Law Office of Margaret D. Wilson | Margaret Wilson
All property acquired during marriage, including retirement benefits earned, are community property and subject to division upon dissolution of marriage.
If he accrued any part of that retirement during the marriage, you are entitled to your share, and vice versa. Since he was earning more, your share of his is a higher dollar amount than his share of yours. Go get that fat safety retirement.
Wallin & Klarich: A Law Corporation
Wallin & Klarich: A Law Corporation | Paul Wallin
The answer to that question depends upon if you are still married and living together. You are entitled to one half of your husbands retirement account during the time of your marriage. However, after date of separation you are no longer entitled to the "additional value" in the retirement account.
    If he acquired any value in retirement benefits during marriage, and there is no premarital agreement stating otherwise, then yes, such benefits that accrue during marriage are community property.