I am being summoned for stealing a plate decal. What should I do? Posted on March 04, 2011

I was pulled over because I had irresponsibly let my registration expire. He noticed my front and back plate decals didn't match and asked why. I told him I didn't know because I didn't remember. When I got home I talked to family and friends and my girlfriend reminded me that we put it on because it was on my windshield in the driveway (i live with my family). I didn't know what the stickers were for necessarily and thought one of my parents left it there for me to take care of, so I put it on. Now, I am being charged with possession of stolen property and the acquiring of stolen property because I didn't understand what I was doing was wrong.
What action should I take? Will the judge understand? I am bringing my parents with me to court but I'm really scared. I need advice.