I am behind on child support. My son will turn 18 in a year. After he turns 18 will I have to pay what I am behind on? 6 Answers as of May 16, 2012

I want to know if I should go through child support modification now to try and get my payments more in tune to my finances. I am in Georgia and we have a work sheet for that now. After he turns 18 will I be done with the payments or can my ex wife take me to court to try and make me pay what I am behind on even after he turns 18?

Steven Harrell, Attorney at Law | Waymon Steven Harrell
There is no statute of limitations for child support collections in Georgia. Your arrearages in child support payments may be collected for years to come.
Grace Law Offices of John F Geraghty Jr.
Grace Law Offices of John F Geraghty Jr. | John F. Geraghty, Jr.
Yes she can and most likely will apply for arrearage. Seek the modification.
SHAPIRO LAW GROUP | ERIC L. SHAPIRO
You will be responsible for your arrears, regardless of when your child emancipated. If you are entitled to a reduction, then file for it.
H. Scott Basham, Attorney at Law, P.C. | H. Scott Basham
Yes, you will still be liable for back child support.
Law Office Of Jody A. Miller
Law Office Of Jody A. Miller | Jody A. Miller
You are responsible for any arrears, even after your child support legally ceases.