How would my boyfriend's bankruptcy affect me? 6 Answers as of August 17, 2015

My ex-boyfriend is filing a chapter 13 bankruptcy. We have a house in both of or names. How does this effect me and my credit?

Law Office of Michael Johnson
Law Office of Michael Johnson | Michael Johnson
As long as he is keeping and paying for mortgage then you should be fine.
If the mortgage is the only debt in both of your names and you are still paying it, then it should have no affect.
It won't affect your credit directly but you will be solely responsible for the house payments.
Your joint debt on the mortgage will mean that you will no longer get points for paying this loan on time each month.
It will not affect you unless there is equity in the house above his allows homestead exemption (which varies by state). If for some reason it shows up on your credit report you can contest that. Check it out with local counsel or look it up on the net. Type in you state name and "homestead exemption". The information should come up.
    It should no affect you directly. BUT if he stops making payments on the house, then the delinquency will show up on your credit. So you should work out with him the payments, or the marketing of the home. Also, not all credit-grantors read credit reports with a high degree of discernment, so if you should find you have any obstacles to getting credit, you might want to explain the whole story to them. But most important is seeing that the mortgage (and any other bills for which you are jointly liable) get paid.