How would I take benefits on my own work history and not on my husband's? 3 Answers as of January 14, 2015

I need help with my SSA Retirement claim. My husband and I both worked. My husband started to receive his retirement benefits last year. I went in this year to apply. We also have 2 disabled adult children. We applied them on my husband’s retirement claim. I was told that I have to take spousal benefits and they will take part of the benefits form 1 of my disabled adult children. I don't want to take spousal's benefits. I don't want to affect the benefits of my 2 adult children or husband. Any help would be appreciated.

Irsfeld, Irsfeld & Younger LLP | Norman H. Green
Just elect to take benefits based on your own work history. However, you should determine how much this is going to cost you. It is possible that you would be better off in the long run if you took benefits based on your husband and made periodic gifts to your children to compensate for any loss.
James Law Group
James Law Group | Christine James
This is a question for the Social Security Administration. They will go over your options.
Contact a specialist attorney in Social security matters.