How would I give custody of my daughter to my best friend? 6 Answers as of June 24, 2013

I'm 27 weeks pregnant with a girl. It's an unplanned pregnancy and I want to give full permanent rights of my daughter to my best friend when she's born. The father of the baby is not in the picture at all nor does he want to be. We have been friends for 15 years, I'm 30 years old so that's half of my life and I trust her. I already have a daughter and a son that are my whole life, but 3 is more than I can handle and afford. My friend wants to get pregnant, but she can't. So she asked me if she could adopt my daughter when she's born. This way the baby could still be a part of my first 2 children's lives. We are limited on cash and from what I understand adoption is pricey. What options do we have that would give her full parental rights? Without leaving us broke?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Jacob R. Lauser
Law Office of Jacob R. Lauser | Jacob R. Lauser
There really aren't any quick and cheap shortcuts to a Guardianship or Adoption. However, if you qualify, and they cover your county, then MidPenn Legal Services will be able to handle this sort of thing for almost nothing. You can also speak with your local attorney bar association about finding a Pro Bono (free) lawyer to help you with this case. Good Luck! Attorney answers to questions are for general purposes only and do not establish an attorney-client relationship. This answer is meant for informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice within the bounds of a professional relationship. It is always best to seek counsel with a competent attorney experienced in your area of issue and fully informed about the facts of your case.
Answer Applies to: Pennsylvania
Replied: 6/24/2013
John Russo | John Russo
First of all the father would have to be brought and be part of any process, and second of all the only way this would fly is to try a legal guardianship if they will not adopt, but I for one see problems selling this to the court.
Answer Applies to: Rhode Island
Replied: 6/24/2013
Law Office of Joan M. Canavan | Joan Canavan
She would have to file a Petition to Adopt your daughter and you and the baby's father would have to give up your parental rights of your child. She will need to file in the Probate Court of the county on which you live.
Answer Applies to: Massachusetts
Replied: 6/24/2013
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
Adoption need not be pricy if all of the parties, including the biological father, agrees. If you are in Michigan call my office with details and an appointment.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 6/24/2013
Webster & Associates | Anita Webster
If you want your friend to be able to adopt the baby she will have to have a home study done this takes a while so she needs to start right away, terminate the parental rights of the bio dad and file a petition for adoption with the court.This response is intended to provide general information only and is not a substitute for speaking to an attorney. This response does not create an attorney client relationship between the Anita Webster, Esq. or Webster & Associates and the readers.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 6/24/2013
    Law Offices of Jill K. Whitbeck
    Law Offices of Jill K. Whitbeck | Jill K. Whitbeck
    You need to work through an attorney to make this legal. The child's father must sign over his rights, as must you. You can do a termination of parental rights with an adoption by consent, but to make sure it is done right.
    Answer Applies to: Nevada
    Replied: 6/24/2013
Click to View More Answers: