How would I be affected by my ex's bankruptcy? 6 Answers as of August 31, 2015

In the divorce papers two years ago, our two houses, two cars and several other credit lines were assigned to me. Both of our names are on everything. The divorce decree did not call for a refinance of anything. So, I have worked with both mortgage companies on the payments. With one, I did a modification of the mortgage, with the other (a rental home), I did a forbearance to catch up on 3 payments that were missed. Now, she's filed a chapter 7 bankruptcy. I can and will continue to keep paying on everything like I have been, but just wanted to make sure that there wouldn't be any issues that would involve me losing the homes or cars. Thanks very much.

With your ex spouse's bankruptcy, your timely payments on these debts will no longer be reported to the credit bureaus. You might be unable to log onto the creditor's website to make your payments. Unfortunately, if no one changed the title to these properties as set out in the divorce decree, you may have some problems, as the bankruptcy trustee may claim that you only owe half of these properties and need to buy out your ex spouse's share. Really suggest that you get an attorney to help you to resolve this if the trustee wants to sell.
If her name is still on the assets, it could impact them as she has an interest in them.
If there is equity then then the trustee can look back at any transfers for 6 years and try to force the seizure of her share of the equity. If there is no equity then nothing is likely to happen.
Law Office of Michael Johnson
Law Office of Michael Johnson | Michael Johnson
Should not affect you if the divorce decree states that all property to you. The cars may be the issue if you are not on them.
If you took the proper steps and had all the properties transferred into your name, it shouldn't cause any problems. If her name is still on the properties, then you might need a lawyer to show that you're the rightful owner.