How will a shoplifting ACD affect my future? 1 Answers as of May 30, 2014

I am 19 and I was given an acd in court for shoplifting about a month ago. From what I understand, this case and the details of it will automatically be dismissed and sealed after the waiting period and will not show up for any background checks. Will this have any impact on my future career? I am planning on going into a health related field such as medicine or dentistry. Will this ACD pose problems for me during licensing?

Law Office of Richard Southard
Law Office of Richard Southard | Richard C Southard
"Problems" is a relative term. Would your process be easier if you had never been arrested? Most likely. I imagine your licensing process will require you to list having been arrested and state the details. You will also be asked to provide a certificate of disposition which will show the outcome of the case. You may be questioned about the facts of the incident. But it should not bar you from obtaining a license as it is neither a conviction nor an admission of guilt. For more info see criminal procedure law 170.55(8).