How will past criminal drunk driving charges impact my future? 25 Answers as of July 05, 2011

In 2002 I got an assault 4 first offense, then 2009 I got a DUI charge. I'm in college now and want to be a state worker or probation officer. Will my past affect me? I've changed.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Thomas J. Tomko Attorney At law
Thomas J. Tomko Attorney At law | Thomas J. Tomko
Your past will affect your future and possible future employment Any employer can consider past criminal offenses when hiring. You could be denied certain jobs when you have prior convictions. The older the conviction, the less it is considered. The more serious the offense, the more likely it will cause greater problems.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 7/5/2011
Nelson & Lawless
Nelson & Lawless | Terry Nelson
The general rule is: Records are forever. However, you can consider getting the conviction expunged; which would help in obtaining and keeping employment. Many convictions can be 'expunged' from criminal records by proper application and Petition to the court, but only if there was no felony prison time sentenced whether served or not, and if it was not for certain listed Sexual and Domestic Violence crimes, and if all terms of sentencing and at least one year of probation are completed, and if there are no new charges pending. If successful, the conviction would be retroactively reduced to a misdemeanor, if necessary, and then withdrawn and the charges dismissed. Expungement does not clear, 'remove' or erase the conviction, but merely changes the record to show 'conviction reversed and dismissed by expungement'. When applying for a job in the private sector, you generally do not have to disclose a conviction if it was expunged. However, the conviction is still a 'prior' or 'strike' for purposes of repeat offense, and must be disclosed on any application for government and professional employment and licensing, bonding, security clearance, etc. The licensing agency and employer then can decide whether you are barred from licensing or employment because of the conviction. If youre serious about doing this, and you think you qualify under those rules, feel free to contact me for the legal help you'll need.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/1/2011
Law Office of Brendan M. Kelly
Law Office of Brendan M. Kelly | Brendan M. Kelly
The DUI won't be that big a deal since it is a misdemeanor. The assault will keep you from such employment in most cases.
Answer Applies to: Nebraska
Replied: 6/30/2011
Law Offices of John Carney
Law Offices of John Carney | John Carney
You will not have a problem with college as much as you will with employers. As to whether you could be a probation officer with a DWI and assault conviction, that might get in the way, but there is no way to tell how they will view the cases unless I knew more about the circumstances.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 6/30/2011
Craig W. Elhart, P.C.
Craig W. Elhart, P.C. | Craig Elhart
Yes, your past may affect your future. Since there is more than one conviction, expungement is not an option. At this time, you need to make sure that you have changed and be able to demonstrate that to an employer. It does not mean an employer has to hire you though.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 6/30/2011
    Andersen Law PLLC
    Andersen Law PLLC | Craig Andersen
    You can petition the court to vacate and dismiss the Assault charge. DUIs are forever. They cannot be taken off your record. If you really want to work as a probation officer, you should speak with potential employers. If you are thinking about being a Community Corrections Officer for the Department of Corrections, you would have to be able to possess a firearm. You should talk to them too. You shouldn't have any disabilities as far as possessing a firearm is concerned UNLESS that Assault 4 involved Domestic Violence. If that is the case, you will need to petition the court to restore your right to keep and bear arms in addition to petitioning the court to vacate and dismiss the Assault 4.
    Answer Applies to: Washington
    Replied: 6/30/2011
    Harden Law Offices
    Harden Law Offices | Leonard D. Harden
    You will be affected very dramatically by your past. An assault charge can be annulled 3 years after everything was completed, the DWI charge will require 10 years to be annulled. I do not believe any department of corrections will touch a convicted individual. In terms of state workers, it is my understanding that literally hundreds have just been laid off. I appreciate that you have changed, but don't think state or DOC employment are good options at this time. I would suggest a trade ( plumbers, electricians etc )seem to always be in demand Good luck.
    Answer Applies to: New Hampshire
    Replied: 6/30/2011
    Theodore W. Robinson, P.C.
    Theodore W. Robinson, P.C. | Theodore W. Robinson
    Unfortunately, you failed to say what the outcome of those two charges was, so it's impossible to advise you about them. However, yes, if you took a plea to a crime or even a violation, it will likely show up on your rap sheet for the rest of your life in most states and particularly in New York. That's why almost every parent tells their kids not to ever get a criminal record - for that very reason. As those convictions get old with the passage of time, they will be less important to potential employers, but for now, they will likely have some impact upon employment opportunities. I've glad you've changed, but unfortunately, your record doesn't. Good luck.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 6/30/2011
    Law Office of Phillip Weiser
    Law Office of Phillip Weiser | Phillip L. Weiser
    Those past convictions could be a factor in the type of profession you choose. If you wish your record to be "cleaned" you could have the assault conviction expunged, but under current Kansas law, a DUI cannot be expunged. Other states may have less restrictions on DUIs. You should consult with an attorney in the state where you reside to know how your laws will affect you.
    Answer Applies to: Kansas
    Replied: 6/30/2011
    Bloom Legal, LLC
    Bloom Legal, LLC | Seth J. Bloom
    Your criminal record may be an issue in your ability to seek future employment from the state. One option you may want to consider is hiring an attorney to file an expungement in an attempt to have your record cleared. This does not guarantee your ability to be hired by certain governmental agencies but it can certainly be worthwhile for future employment of many types. This is something we handle on a regular basis for clients. If you are seeking legal representation in this matter in Louisiana, we invite you to contact our firm at the information on this page for a free case evaluation.
    Answer Applies to: Louisiana
    Replied: 6/29/2011
    Law Office of Jared Altman
    Law Office of Jared Altman | Jared Altman
    Yes. I think that your criminal history may affect your prospects. Your best bet is to try and turn a negative into a positive. A la "it was a youthful indiscretion and I have matured since then. Nothing like that ever happened or will ever happen again. I learned my lesson well. I'm burdened with this but it was a valuable lesson." Good Luck!
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 6/29/2011
    Frances R. Johnson
    Frances R. Johnson | Frances R. Johnson
    It just depends. To find out, I would suggest contacting the agencies you would like to work for and find out what their requirements are in terms of past records.
    Answer Applies to: Colorado
    Replied: 6/29/2011
    Law Office of Andrew Subin
    Law Office of Andrew Subin | Andrew Subin
    Hard to say. It depends where you apply for a job.
    Answer Applies to: Washington
    Replied: 6/29/2011
    Law Office of Michael Moody
    Law Office of Michael Moody | Michael Moody
    It depends on whether you were charged with misdemeanor assault or the felony version. If it was a felony, you will not be able to pursue your career objectives. If it was a misdemeanor, it may have some effect. The DUI conviction will also have some effect, but generally, misdemeanor convictions dont' close all doors.
    Answer Applies to: Georgia
    Replied: 6/29/2011
    LT Pepper Law
    LT Pepper Law | Luke T. Pepper
    There is no easy way to say this. It will hurt you. You will need to show that you have changed your ways and provide evidence to support it. There are some positions that cannot hold due to your offenses but I would not let that stop from applying. In some instances, a mentor can open doors and provide you an opportunity to explain yourself and your past. Good luck.
    Answer Applies to: Pennsylvania
    Replied: 6/29/2011
    Beaulier Law Office
    Beaulier Law Office | Maury Beaulier
    Most jobs will require a background check and employers may legally consider any offense that has an impact on the job.
    Answer Applies to: Minnesota
    Replied: 6/29/2011
    Law Office of Richard Williams
    Law Office of Richard Williams | Richard Williams
    I would assume that the assault charge was a misdemeanor charge. The fact that you have been arrested and convicted of an assault (misdemeanor) and a DUI should not preclude you from getting a job working with the State but you will likely have to explain it at your first interview.
    Answer Applies to: Alabama
    Replied: 6/29/2011
    Pontrello Law
    Pontrello Law | William Pontrello
    Yes now days with computers tracking everyone you will have to work hard to overcome that record for any job.
    Answer Applies to: Florida
    Replied: 6/29/2011
    Law Office of Jeff Yeh
    Law Office of Jeff Yeh | Jeff Yeh
    Yes they will. That is why you should hire a lawyer to petition the court to expunge your prior convictions. However, you must wait at least until 2012 when you are no longer on probation.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 6/29/2011
    Law Office of Tracey S. Sang
    Law Office of Tracey S. Sang | Tracey Sang
    The first step is to get the convictions expunged. An expungement will be granted if you have successfully completed probation. You are probably still on probation for the DUI - you can ask to terminate early but it's not often granted without a compelling reason. If the convictions still show up on background checks for the jobs you want, the next step is to get the records sealed. However, a thorough background check will still reveal that some conviction existed, even though it's sealed. Not all background checks reveal convictions once they are expunged, but for the jobs you have mentioned they may always show up. Then all you can do is come clean with the prospective employer and cross your fingers. Feel free to call if you'd like to discuss it further. Good luck.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 6/29/2011
    Michael Breczinski
    Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
    I would check with the State to see if it would prevent you from being hired. You could call and just ask. You don't have to identify yourself.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 6/29/2011
    The Law Firm of David Jolly
    The Law Firm of David Jolly | David Jolly
    It is impossible to tell how your future will be impacted by your past. Generally most professions when looking at your criminal history are looking for serious offenses that may impact their business (ie. Thefts, felonies) or simply to gauge your honesty. It is best to be truthful and explain the circumstances that led to the event. Discuss this with an attorney first.
    Answer Applies to: Washington
    Replied: 6/29/2011
    Law Office of Thomas A. Medford, Jr., PC
    Law Office of Thomas A. Medford, Jr., PC | Thomas A. Medford, Jr.
    Your past criminal and driving record could have an effect on your ability to get a job with the state. You should counsel an attorney who can advise you about the possibility of having you prior record sealed.
    Answer Applies to: District of Columbia
    Replied: 6/29/2011
    Austin Legal Services, PLC
    Austin Legal Services, PLC | Jared Austin
    The most recent offense will hurt you the most. I don't know their hiring policy, but I can't imagine that the probation department would want a PO who got a DUI as recently as two years ago. But I could be wrong. The more time and distance you can get between you and your criminal past the better it is for you and your future employment. Make sure you don't get into anymore trouble. Ask the state office or the probation department as to how they would handle hiring someone with your record. Stress the positives to them. Good luck.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 6/29/2011
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 4 5 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney